Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Wrestler

I just saw the new Mickey Rourke film, The Wrestler.  It's a great movie.  Rourke and his supporting cast are outstanding, and there's an excellent scene that features a C-leg.  However, am I the only person that finds Bruce Springsteen's title song offensive?  I'm not a huge fan of The Boss anyway but I can't deny that the guy has talent and I did like Nebraska and Human Touch, albums whose songs mirror the sparse and emotional nature of The Wrestler's title song.  The melody is beautiful and haunting, but the lyrics irk me with three references to amputees - one being a dog! - and how they reflect the pathetic nature of the song's central character.  I get tired of amputees being portrayed negatively, especially when all the amputees I know are so cool and amazing. 

1 comment:

John Anthony said...

Hey Antoinette - I agree about the Boss - he takes the easy way out too often (the dog reference is just stupid), and he kind of always has (some of us are old enough to actually know that!). The Super Bowl halftime show was a good summary of his thing- charming, energetic, but in the end pretty corny and not very deep. The title song to Philadelphia was sort of a lukewarm success as well. On the other hand it's really cool to see Mickey Rourke, who's never taken the easy way out, doing something great. I still remember him as the arsonist in Body Heat- he was pretty scary and pretty real.
Hope you're having a good 2009.
cheers
John A